Green Advantages of Lumber
- ‘Sustainable Forestry’ practises typically sequester more CO2 than they produce in their operations.
- Lumber building materials are lighter than steel and concrete and require less energy to transport and build into structures. This is environmentally friendly and reduces project costs.
- By-products from lumber production can be used in biomass operations to produce green energy.
With technological improvements in cross-laminated timber (CLT), lumber is now ready to compete with steel and concrete for most construction projects.
- Building code changes are being contemplated that require lower carbon footprints for buildings.
- Several large wood framed towers and other buildings have recently been constructed with many more in the planning stage.
- Walmart and Microsoft are among the companies that are already using lumber framed building on major new construction projects.